Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ginataang Kuhol (Snails/Escargot in Coconut Milk)

          Last Weekend, I tried for the nth time my basic cooking skills.    I challenged myself  to cook exotic food ( now an exotic delicacy of many restaurants). Instead of eating out, I dragged my butt off  my room and headed to talipapa ( a temporary fish market) near our compound. I remember seeing my elder sister cooking up snails in coconut milk last vacation.So I thought why don't I try making one..I also remember taking notes of the ingredients. At the talipapa,fortunately, there were plenty of fish vendors that time. I found the golden snails beside the pointed snails. I was told by manang vendor it was already soaked  and it was clean and  ready to cook.

         Snail delicacy wasn't too popular for most locals during the old times especially for "royal bloods".For most, It was considered a pest.As time passes by.. It became a blockbuster to exotic food eaters, and later on to all the pinoys who appreciate good food. A couple of well-known restaurants offers this menu-- the ginatang kuhol which really makes one ask for more. 

         Customers could afford a bowl of snail menu ( like ginataang kuhol), and could afford another order which goes from Php 220 to 250 and up . To the average customers, one order of such is enough( speaking of tight budget). On the practical side, both will benefit if they will prefer cooking it at home.. and even the not  so privileged could afford a bowl or a casserole of this yummy meal.

       Going back,  the snails were fresh ( though already soaked for a night)--and a kilo costs Php 40.00 , then the coconut costs Php 22.00 , 2 bundles of Kangkong (swamp cabbage/water spinach) costs  Php10.00 , then I also bought other ingredients like ginger 
( 5.00) onion and garlic (Php 5.00  each),long pepper  (3 pcs. for Php 2.00  ),chili pepper 
(3 pcs. for Php 2.00  )then the seasoning (Php 4.00 )-- I remember having fish paste at home so I skipped buying one. All in all I spent Php 95.00  for the ingredients.

       After cooking, I can say it was a success.  My nephew seemed satisfied with his meal... Glad to hear word of thanks for the yummy lunch. Below are the ingredients for the snails menu.


 


 Recipe of Ginataang Kuhol

 (Snails in Coconut Milk)
 
For a start, soak kuhol in a basin or pail of tap water for 24 hours to remove undigested food.


Ingredients:

  • 1 Kilo of Snail (Kuhol) 
  • 2 cups coconut milk  
  • 1 big cup coconut cream  or extract
  • 1 big Onion sliced
  • 1 tbsp. chopped garlic  
  • 2 tablespoon ginger, cut into julienne strips  
  • 2 tbsp. cooking oil
  • 2 Tbsp. of Shrimp Paste
  • 1 tbsp. sugar  to taste
  • Long and chilli pepper (optional), cut into desired size
  • Kangkong leaves (Swamp cabbage/ water spinach) cut as desired
  • seasoning (to taste)



    Cooking procedure:
    1.  pour about 2 cups of water on one kilo of shredded coconut ,
      extract the coconut cream ( kakang gata) and set aside, pour another 2 cups and extract the coconut milk
    2. tap and break the narrow end of each snail to loosen the meat
    3. Wash snails thoroughly. Put snails in a basin. Set aside 
    4. On a casserole,saute garlic, onion ,ginger and then the snail
    5. Add the coconut cream and let boil until the cream becomes thick
    6. add shrimp paste and the coconut milk. Stir
    7.  Simmer for 10 minutes over moderate heat
    8.  Add the Long pepper, chili pepper and Kangkong ( water spinach)
    9. Lower heat, add 1 tbsp. sugar to taste(optional)
    10. Add the seasoning 
    11. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the kangkong is cooked
    12. Serve with rice
    13. makes 4 to 6 servings

     

    It's done!

    There you have it... wanna try it? give it a shot and you'll love it. Have a good day everyone!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment