Friday, August 1, 2014

Ginisang Gamu-gamo/Simut-simot or Sauteed Flying Termites ( Exotic and yummy crawlers )


crispy Simut-simot

        Ever Heard of Sauteed Termites? Exotic food eaters might say 'yes'... and to regular foodies, I don't think so.  I know that many of those who isn't familiar with this so called 'future food'  shrug off the idea, shriek and get disgusted of just thinking about  bugs or of  trying just a little bite of those icky 'food'. I know because I have interviewed some foodies, and most of them says--insects are not listed on their menu and future food adventure, and most of them even responded with the big Eeeeeewe and Yuuccccccck! ha ha.

      Well, to the exotic food eaters,  and 'tasters' like me-- its just a matter of  "tibay ng sikmura"( brave stomach-if you call it that) , "lakas ng loob" (courage) --that's a try if you dare attitude , or just plain voracious. "Tibay ng sikmura" if you're not really used to eating bugs and wants to taste it anyway ( for curiosity maybe),  "lakas ng loob since you're gonna eat something that isn't commonly eaten--or isn't a regular meal, and of course voracious or insatiable will mean --having that gutsy appetite to chew up bugs.

       Termites or better known as anay in Filipino are those insects you see munching on woods--esp on some areas of house ( house a decades old).. also those that you see in forest., but since they're in their flying stage they're no longer an anay/termite -- they are called simut-simot or gamu-gamo ( winged termites- level up ha ha) it no longer could do harm ( I think),It becomes a food to lizards and  chickens (what else)-- irritants to some and a delight to exotic food enthusiasts. They appear only during rainy season-- and during the first 2 months of rainy days.

         I've learned to eat this edible crawlers when I was a kiddo--- it was introduced to me as something that is edible ( not dirty as my Tatay used to tell me because I'm so inquisitive), and High in protein. ..and so I grew up knowing how to eat those things. But then, I could only eat them once a year or if its available (when someone at home is patient enough to catch and remove the wings). I don't consider myself as a full blown exotic food eater---I havent tried all the insects....yet haha.I want to try some but I dont think Iwould want to try all the others. I've tasted this Flying termites, the  June beetle or known in Filipino as Salagubang, black Cricket or the Kuriat, and the Mole cricket or Ararawan . ( I can say, the first two has much taste and you can only enjoy chewing up once you try ).I've tried the  Frog and snails  ( though these two aren't in insect category lolz) and these are considered exotic foods and tasted good, depends on how it is prepared and cooked.

         Take what Timon and Pumbaa said...Hakuna Matata ... --- and I tell you to hakuna matata when you try to eat exotic food.There's nothing to lose trying or daring yourself to have a bite. Im not  telling you to eat all the insects around that is "edible".. But I suggest that you try this one.See if it will be your palates best friend. Think... what if  theres famine... and there's no longer food available-- are you up to eating---bugs?

        These simut-simot were unfortunate to have landed at my sisters house-- their photos will be seen below,  how they were prepared and cooked. .. and to curious ones who wants to know more about edible bugs , please see links that follows.
 http://www.insectsarefood.com/faq.html,
 http://edibug.wordpress.com/list-of-edible-insects/ ,
 http://www.eattheweeds.com/bug-a-boos-or-grubs-up/ ,
http://invasivore.org/2013/04/eating-bugs-in-the-philippines/ , http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45048564/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/insects-you-wont-believe-are-edible/#.U63GxmNc7Dc,
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/02/7-insects-youll-be-eating-in-future/



When you catch 'em


....the wings


...without their wings, here's how they look like ( A june beetle was lost --you can see it along the little crawlers)



cooking up....


My sister's sneaky hand--- excited to taste her ' snack'

hmmmn... smells good


uh... and last, the recipe for your alien snacks.he he..

A Taste of Termites---Foodies might want to try

Recipe:

Termites
Garlic
Oil
Seasoning


Preparations:

1. Catch the flying ones by hanging up plastics or net ( with small holes) in places they go to-- its better to turn on one light--either in the lobby or living room ( its kinda messy when their wings fall off, or those that no longer got wings wander off everywhere), you can also catch them by filling up a basin or half full pail  of water.. --but then this last procedure will take you long to remove the wings so I suggest to just use nets or plastics.

2. Remove the wings. If you're fortunate to catch lots of it--be ready to have patience in removing the wings. some of those who do it just put it directly to pans and while heating it up... the wings fall off and you  can just blow those wings away.

3.When the wings are removed, wash the the 'crawlers' with warm water and drain. Prepare lotsa Garlic.

4.Put oil on pan.. best to use canola oil, or olive oil so its not that bad if you've put more than 4 tablespoon of it. Saute the garlic, when its brownish, separate half the garlic to put as toppings after.

5. Put the crawlers and saute, cook until its crisp or until it turned a little more brownish. Put the seasonings. Remove from heat and put the toppings. enjoy eating.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting!!My friend asked and I had no idea. My grandma(89) only heard about it here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi thanks for dropping by... yeah, many people still doesnt know that those crawlers can be eaten. just try if you're curious. have a spoonful and tell me if im right.

      Delete
    2. Istee, Sarah to program researcher ng Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho. Pwede ba kitang ikontak regarding sa lutong it?

      Delete
    3. Iste, Sarah po ito program researcher ng Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho pwede po ba kitang ikontak regarding sa lutong ito?

      Delete
    4. OMG. sorry po, tagal po akong d nakapagblog. Dko po nttsek to. Pasensya npo.Kung me katanungan kayo feel free to email me. Ctcarino@gmail.com.thank you

      Delete
  2. hey thanks...but Im sorry Im not very familiar with SEO
    yet.I suggest you try other style, aside from posting just celebrity movies and their stars...why not add something unique...like from that movie the actress or actor cook up or wear something like... that kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had these "Simut-simot" (I didn't even know what they were called then. I just ate them for the people I was with ate them).

    ReplyDelete